MD Attorneys was founded by Michael Denenga, an attorney with over 10 years post qualification experience. He is a former partner of Webber Wentzel, one of the premier law firms in Africa and has acquired practical experience in the treasury departments of two of South Africa’s big banks. Michael founded MD Attorneys in order to effectively service his clients by providing specialist and expert services at competitive arrangements. Some of Michael‘s key appointments and professional achievements are as follows:
· a contributor of the South African chapter to the book “International Hedge Fund Regulation”, edited by Ian Mason of Marlow Lyde & Gilbert LLP and Martin Cornish of Katten Muchin Rosenmab Cornish LLPØ successfully completed the compliance officer examinations in terms of the JSE Limited Rules
· approved as compliance officer by the Financial Services Board
· a member of the drafting committee of the Financial Services Sector Charter on Black Economic Empowerment (BEE) ( 2002)
· a member of the Nedlac Task Team on Transformation of the Financial Services Sector (2001-2002)
· acted as Governor of Business Unity South Africa ( BUSA 2002- 2003)
· a member of South Africa’s National Anti-corruption Forum.
· appointed Head Candidate Attorney (Webber Wentzel 2001)
· President of the Law Students Council ( Rhodes 1999)
· placed on the Dean’s Merit List ( Rhodes 1998)
SERVICES PROVIDED INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING:
- ISDA negotiation and documentation
- securities lending agreements negotiation
- terms of business and mandates
- prime brokerage and commission sharing agreements
Michael has advised all of South Africa’s big four banks with respect to the above as well as many international banks.
Michael has also established many ISDA templates for various corporates including Anglo Gold, Anglo Ashanti, Kumba Ore, MTN, De Beers and many others.
· establishing funds in South Africa as well as offshore
· Hedge fund compliance and regulatory advice
· prime brokerage negotiation and documentation
· Advising financial institutions on the financial services laws applicable to them including the Financial Advisory and Intermediary Services Act, the Securities Services Act (Financial Markets Bill), the Collective Investment Schemes Control Act, the Banks Act and the Financial Intelligence Centre Act.
· Establishment of representative offices and branches of banks
· Implementation of risk management plans
· Updates on new legislation and amendments
· Training on applicable legislation
· drafting and advice on Domestic Medium Term Note Programmes
· drafting Credit Linked Note Programmes
· advice on note issuances
· advice and opinions with respect to commercial paper regulations
· advice on Central Securities Depository Rules and licensing requirements.
· Michael is currently advising market participants with respect to compliance with the Financial Markets Bill.
Finance & Banking
· preference share agreements
· facility agreements
· security documentation
· factoring agreements
· common terms agreements
Moreover, courses are facilitated via the Hedge Fund Academy and the South African Law Centre.
Visit our website for more information.